Body of missing journalist found in pasture near Vienna

February 25, 2010

by Ashley Dison & Lance Traweek

The body of local journalist Mary Margaret Storey, missing since Feb. 7, has been found.

The discovery was announced at a 4 p.m. Wednesday news conference conducted by Ruston Police Chief Stephen J. Rogers and Lincoln Parish Sheriff Mike Stone.

Rogers said he received information at 11:50 a.m. Wednesday from a local landowner that a vehicle matching Storey’s was located on his property 1.1 miles off Highway 822. Storey’s body was approximately 150 yards from the vehicle. The landowner said it was a section of his property he does not frequent. Storey’s Toyota Camry had one wheel stuck in a ravine.

Officers said the remote location of the vehicle is the reason it took so long to find her.

At this time authorities said there is no indication of foul play. Ruston police confirmed Storey had health issues. Family members indicated that if she did not take her medicine, she would become confused, KNOE.com reported.

Storey, 62, was a freelance writer for Delta Style magazine and a former reporter with The Ruston Daily Leader.

She was reported missing Feb. 8 by her brother Bruce Storey. She was last seen Feb 7 at approximately 12:40 p.m. heading south on U.S. 167, just north of Dubach.

For the past two weeks, authorities have been monitoring
Storey’s bank and cell phone accounts, both of which recorded no activity, RPD Lt. Tim Parker said in earlier reports in the Ruston newspaper.

Parker said all area law enforcement agencies worked together to investigate the case, and her disappearance was reported to the FBI’s National Crime Information Center database, which is accessible to law enforcement agencies across the country.

Authorities said they will follow-up with the news media Monday with more details.

The investigation has been officially turned over to the Lincoln Parish Sheriff’s department.

Storey’s body was sent to Little Rock for an autopsy. A determination of the cause of death should take approximately 2-3 days, police said.